|The Business English I./FL1 exam or any other adequate recognised exam. |
|Content (Syllabus outline)
|The subject comprises various themes from the field of economics and business science for acquiring:
a) academic skills: reading of English economic and business texts, scientific journals and textbooks;
b) professional skills: reading of professional texts related to other subjects of the 2nd year of study, of reports and letters; writing CVs, letters of application, minutes, business correspondence; understanding of speeches, negotiations, dialogues, TV and radio programmes; writing of frequent text types (summary, presentation); appropriate use of language for negotiations, meetings and presentations.
Cotton, D., Falvey, D., Kent, S. 2010. 3rd EDITION. Market Leader- Intermediate Business English (Course Book). Harlow: Pearson Education.
Dodatna študijska literature:
Mascull, B. 2010. Business Vocabulary in Use. Advanced. NEW EDITION. Cambridge: CUP (izbrana poglavja);
EVROTERM. Večjezična terminološka baza izrazov Evropske unije. Dostopno na: http://www.sigov.si/evroterm/ ;
Izročki na predavanjih (aktualni strokovni časopisni članki).
|In this course students:
1. Get the basic grasp of terminology used in various fields of economics and business, which is related too other subjects studied in the second year of university program.
2. Upgrade and expand the knowledge and business and work related terminology.
3. Gain the ability to apply their theoretical knowledge of English language in practice.
4. Develop specific work related communication skills (presentations, meetings, negotiations).
|Intendend learning outcomes - knowledge and understanding
|Development of knowledge and understanding
1. Have a detailed knowledge of English language in the field of economics and business.
2. Develop the skills to interpret the English texts.
3. Are able to pursue further studies of English language by using various sources.
4. Can demonstrate awareness of wider social and environmental ethical issues in areas of economics and business.
5. Upgrade the ability to understand other cultures and business practices in English speaking countries and within the EU.
|Intendend learning outcomes - transferable/key skills and other attributes'
1. Can identify key aspects of problem from different view points.
2. Are able to collect, analyze, evaluate and interpret short authentic business English texts.
3. Understand basic concepts in economics and business related to other subjects within the second year study program.
1. Further develop skills and expertise in the use of English language knowledge in a specific working area.
2. Upgrade the ability to become an autonomous learner.
3. Upgrade the ability to apply information technology.
4. Upgrade the ability to work in pairs and groups.
5. Further develop their communication skills in an effective manner to effectively and professionally communicate.
1. Get practical experience in the field of public speaking and presentations in English language.
2. Are able to act autonomously with defined guidelines and certain level of supervision.
3. Are capable of effective and appropriate written and oral communication.
|Learning and teaching methods
problem-based language learning;
pair work and group work;
case study analysis |